Criminal Case Files
CRIMINAL & OTHER CASE FILES FOUND IN VICTORIA POLICE CORRESPONDENCE FILES.
Researched and compiled by Helen D. Harris OAM.
WARNING!! SOME DETAILS CONTAINED IN THIS WEB PAGE MAY BE SHOCKING TO SENSITIVE READERS. IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED OR SHOCKED DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER.
The information is provided as an aid to genuine researchers who may have been unable to find the details they seek elsewhere. The material itself is held at the Public Record Office. (If you haven’t had any success in finding material here, and still seek information, try the Missing Friends, Wife Deserters, Infant Life Protection Act and Police web pages links below, and have a look at the microfiche indexes previously prepared – on the Harriland Press web page. It might also be worth looking at some Queensland police indexes at www.judywebster.gil.com.au/police.html)
When someone requested a file I have kept a note of their details, and placed a CONNECTION FOUND next to the relevant entry. If in the future someone else requests the same file, I put the two researchers in touch with one another. As this webpage is now ten years old however, I have found that many of the older email addresses are no longer working, so have discarded those references and the ‘Connection Found’ entry, prior to 2008.
HOW TO ARRANGE COPIES OF THE FILES:
The information reproduced above has been taken from police correspondence files held in the Public Record Office North Melbourne repository. Much of it is from the c200 boxes of uncatalogued material that I have been examining over a number of years. Please note that I do not have copies of the materials in my possession – it is all stored at the Public Record Office. However I am willing to arrange for photocopies to be made of a file, but ask a fee of $35 to do so – plus the cost of copying and postage.
ARRANGING PHOTOCOPIES OF THE FILES
- Note the names, date and detail of the file, including the number of pages involved.
- Work out the cost of photocopying, at 65c per page, (including GST) as charged by the Public Record Office. Add $AUS40 retrieval fee for each file. (No GST charged on retrieval fee.)
- Either send a cheque in Australian Dollars made out to Harriland Press to PO Box 92, Forest Hill, Victoria, Australia, 3131, or email me to obtain details for a direct credit to our account. If you wish to send a cheque in a foreign currency please allow $Aust15 bank fee. New Zealand and English orders are advised to email me for alternate arrangements. Please include two International Reply Paid Coupons for return postage if outside Australia, (obtainable from any post office) otherwise a $1.20 Australian stamp if under 10 pages, or $2 for extra pages.
- Remember to supply your own address, including if possible, an email address.
- You will be emailed when your letter arrives and the photocopies are ordered, and again when your order has been posted to you. My email address is hdh1atozemail.com.au (you will need to remove the ‘at’ and replace with @).
- Note: The Public Record Office will not allow photocopying of photographs. The minimum charge for reproduction of a photograph by the PRO is $A7, and there is a delay of about a month. However the PRO also now offers a digital copy of a photo, produced on a CD, for $15. There is a quicker turnaround with the digital copy.
- The Public Record Office has now (2012) made a digital camera available for researchers in the search rooms, so it is possible to record the material digitally onto a USB, burn it onto a CD at home and post it off in a padded bag. I will undertake this alternate option for orders where there is a photograph and a file of under 20 pages, for a fee of $50.