Index to Tasmanians in Victorian Police Gazette 1853-1893Helen | Updated on Tuesday, February 9th, 2010
INDEX TO TASMANIANS IN THE VICTORIA POLICE GAZETTE 1853-1893
Compiled by Helen Doxford Harris OAM
This microfiche index of nearly 10,000 entries lists the name and date of entry of Tasmanians located within the Victoria Police Gazette for the period December 1853 to December 1893. A Tasmanian is defined, in this Index, as someone who was either born in Tasmania or spent some time there, whether as a transported convict, a free settler or a brief visitor.
The Gazette entries include:
- Deserters from the armed forces, from merchant ships and of wives and children.
- People wanted for questioning in relation to various other crimes.
- Victims of criminal acts.
- Prisoners discharged from either city or country gaols.
- Missing Friends – people enquired for by friends or relations
- Extracts from Police Gazettes in New South Wales, South Australia, Queensland, Tasmania, New Zealand, and occasionally, overseas countries.
- Extracts from the Hobart Town Gazette of escaped convicts and the name of the person to whom they were assigned.
Click onto Order Form for details of how to order a copy of the microfiche.
Back to Harriland Press Microfiche.